Last Published: 7/22/2016

The U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) keeps foreign pirated and counterfeit goods from being imported into the United States. Once a company has registered its trademark or copyright, it should record its registration with CBP. Contact: (202) 325-0020,

Holders of registered trademarks and copyrights concerned about imports or exports of infringing goods should record their trademarks and copyrights with U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP). Patents may not be recorded with CBP for border enforcement protection; however, patent owners may be entitled to exclusion of infringing imports into United States under Section 337 of the Tariff Act of 1930.

Detailed information about recording intellectual property rights and reporting intellectual property infringement to CBP can be found on the CBP's Web site. To report alleged illegal importation to CPB visit the online e-allegations website. You can file an application to record your registered trademarks or copyrights electronically.  You can also search the IPR database containing public versions of CBP IPR recordation.

Additional resources on CBP enforcement of intellectual property rights include:

Infographic showing seizures of foreign pirated and counterfeit goods by the CBP in fiscal year 2012

U.S. Customs and Border Protection
Office of Regulations and Rulings
Intellectual Property Rights & Restricted Merchandise Branch
1300 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20229
Telephone: (202) 325-0020