Content Industry IPR ResourcesContent Industry IPR Resources
The content industry broadly covers companies that own and provide mass media. Sectors include print media, online media, broadcasting, film, music, publishing, video gaming and related industries. Business associations and organizations in these sectors advocate and support efforts to protect the intellectual property of the creative geniuses that keep these sectors thriving in competitive, global markets where pirated works are prevalent. Here are the key industry resources to consult for assistance with intellectual property issues and advocacy.
- The Association of American Publishers (AAP) is the national trade association of the U.S. book publishing industry.
- The Entertainment Software Association (ESA) represents companies that publish video and computer games for video game consoles, personal computers and the Internet.
- The Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) advocates on behalf of the American motion picture, home video and television industries.
- The Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) is the trade group that represents the U.S. recording industry.
- American Association of Independent Music (A2IM) is an organization of independent music labels that promotes business opportunity, provides advocacy and representation, as well as networking opportunities for the independent label community.
- Copyright Clearance Center (CCC), the rights licensing experts, is a global rights broker for the world’s most sought after materials, including in- and out-of-print books, journals, newspapers, magazines, images, blogs and ebooks. Founded in 1978 as a not-for-profit organization, CCC provides smart solutions that simplify the licensing of content that lets businesses and academic institutions quickly get permission to use copyright-protected materials, while compensating publishers and content creators for the use of their works.
- The International Intellectual Property Alliance (IIPA) is a coalition formed to represent the U.S. copyright-based industries in their efforts to improve international protection of copyrighted materials. IIPA's 2011 report on Copyright Industries in the U.S. Economy
- International Federation of the Phonographic IndustryIFPI) represents the recording industry internationally. Read the IFPI 2011 report on the global digital music sector.
- The Business Software Alliance (BSA) is a global organization that advocates on behalf of the commercial software industry. Read the BSA 2010 Piracy Study